This bell was brought to Council Grove in 1863 and placed near this location in 1866, atop a hill on a wooden tower, to serve as an Indian Raid Alarm. The bell remained for over twenty years as a school and church bell. It is unclear if it was ever used to warn the citizen's of potential attacks.
The stone monument above was erected in 1901. The top of the bell has since been vandalized. The bell is located near the hermit's cave.